- Most of the commercial mango varieties grown worldwide for international trade were developed in Florida.
- India produces about one third of all mangos.
- Over ninety countries grow mangos commercially.
- Less than 5% of global mango production is traded internationally.
- The United States imports more mangos than any other country in the world.
- Mangos brought into the U.S. must be dipped in hot water or irradiated.
- U.S. domestic production of mangos is approximately 1% of its demand.
- South Florida is the biggest mango-producing area in the U.S.
- Locally-grown mangos are MUCH better than imported ones.
- We are SO fortunate to live in South Florida!
Monday, August 11, 2014
A Few Mango Stats
Here's some interesting facts (some statistics are a few years old)...